Started Mar 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,601Gear list
Like?
Just bought a GXR
Mar 11, 2013

First, can't thank all of you enough for answering my questions and giving me great tips on the move. It was truly helpful!

Today, I let go of one of my X Pro 1's and felt justified in spending a little money, so I bought a GXR with M Mount and VF2. Then, because discipline is boring, I bought a Voigtlander 35mm 1.2. Interestingly, this lens does not work on the Fuji with M Mount adapter, but that is fine, because it is much better suited for the GXR in my opinion.

Anyway, I drove a little bit to pick it up and just got in at around 11pm, so I ordered the glass protector for the LCD that you all recommend, updated the body and unit to the latest firmware, and went through the entire menu system setting things up for myself. After I type this post, I am going to read the manuals which will surely educate me on the very few things I did not fully understand in the menus.

My first, and very limited impressions:

1)I know you guys said the build quality was nice, but it is actually better than I even expected going into it. It is a solid hunk of metal! Really impressed!

2) Focus peaking works!!! Even at 1.2, the guessing is so cut down that it makes MF fast and sure. I suspected as much, but this was a relief.

3) The biggest jaw dropper of all for me is the programability. Maybe it is like this for everyone, or maybe because I have been on the X Pro 1 for so long, but the level of usability and customization is STAGGERING. Beyond my already high expectations. I am pretty floored.

I know my Fuji is a newer camera, but the GXR seems worlds ahead of it in terms of function and usability. I feel like I've been playing with a really nice toy for the last year. Hey, I said "really nice".

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow