24-70 L II: Is close focusing softness a serious issue?

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mike K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,496Gear list
Like?
An unrealistic scenario
In reply to wcan, Mar 11, 2013
What scares me is: "...It gets very soft...". If I was using this lens and wanted to fill the frame with someone's face or facial feature requiring me to get in really close when at 70mm, I don't want to have to worry about ending up with a "very soft" image because I got too close.

I think this concern is really out of proportion. 15 inches away at 70 mm the field of view is about 4.5x7 inches, too small for a face. If you get that close you will have lots of problems with perspective distortion, the nose will be far too large. At that distance the required dof to keep the nose, and ears in focus will exceed your len's capability of f22. Even f32 will be soft. Try to shoot any face from that distance. Really, this is unrealistic. DPR did you a mis service by raising your fears about an unrealistic scenario. If you want to shoot from 1 foot away with a flat target get a macro lens and a strong flash or tripod to get sharp results.

Mike K

Mike K's gear list:Mike K's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow