flash frustrations

Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,731Gear list
Like?
Re: flash frustrations
In reply to bill vann, Mar 11, 2013

bill vann wrote:

so I can put a 58 on the nex and control the others, but cannot seem to work anything off camera without a master on the camera? am I missing something?

This is unfortunately the way it works with the NEX-7. You can't control slaves with the built-in flash.

• Adding a small HVL-F20AM might be a good option, as this can act as a master.
  • Another option is the Pixel king wireless trigger. This works in TTL for me, but I have issues with HSS on my old Minolta flash. I remember reading that others have had more luck with other flashes.
  • Another option is a good old fashioned TTL cable.

also, each shot does its own preflash, which I kinda get but to do the odd portrait wtf how annoying and mucho blinkers, am I missing something here?

I agree, and I tend to just work with flash on manual power a lot of the time. TTL is cool, but manual flash isn't so hard to handle unless you are in a hurry.

I think the flash system needs an update. I'd like to see Sony do away with the optical control system, and replace it with an RF system like Canon's.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow