Need high IQ, but lightweight camera for backpacking - what would you recommend?

Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richie Beans
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?
Re: Need high IQ, but lightweight camera for backpacking - what would you recommend?
In reply to jfriend00, Mar 11, 2013

A Nex system is nice but it's overkill and seriously limited for your trip, plus you'll drain your batteries 4 days in. Do yourself a HUGE favor and look for a long-focus compact that'll run off AA batteries, if they still make them.... that kind of camera, that is.

I have both a NEX5R and and an old Canon A630, and and I can tell you flat-out that the A630 is  a great alternative. I used one set (4AA) lithium batteries for a 30 day trip on Denali and took about 400 photos and a couple of hours of video and never worried about not taking pictures because I ran out of juice. Macro, tele, this kind of camera is great for an extended hike. Find yourself a used unit on e-Bay and save the new NEX7 purchase for when you get back and can cut your teeth on it's limitations before you commit it to weeks out in the bush.

My 2 pennies worth.

Richie Beans's gear list:Richie Beans's gear list
NEX5R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow