Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,230
Like?
Re: Please Help Me Tweak My 7D to Improve Image Quality
In reply to Zee Char, Mar 11, 2013

Zee Char wrote:

cptrios wrote:

Zee Char wrote:

Curios as to why a faster shutter speed would effect sharpness? Also why as high as F8? Most lenses are sharpest one stop closed down from wide open. One stop higher and you are starting to head into diffraction territory. Besides the bokeh isolates the subject and gives the image a more personal look. If DPR was not locking up on my image downloads I would post a BIF at 1/5000 wide open. This started happening about 1/2 hour ago. I'll try later.

Where did you get this idea? Not true at all. Every lens hits its peak at a different aperture, and with fast lenses it's rarely "one stop down from wide open." Almost any f/1.4 lens I've ever used, for example, has hit its peak at f/4 or f/5.6 - 3 or 4 stops from max aperture. Also, diffraction doesn't typically hit on an APS-C sensor until f/8.

I got it from the MTF charts at photozone and most other lens testing sites. I said most not all and most of mine are sharpest one stop from wide open. I was talking about f8 when I mentioned the part about diffraction.

I just checked my 24-70 II. It is F4 one stop closed from wide open. I checked my 70-200 F4 and it is the same at 3 focal lengths. So is my my new 70-200 F2.8 and it is the same. So is my 100L Macro 2.8. My 50 1.4 was at 4 but I did sell it. A person has to check to know what their lens specs are.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow