flash frustrations

Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,207Gear list
Like?
Re: flash frustrations
In reply to bill vann, Mar 11, 2013

bill vann wrote:...

so the last thing is sorting the flash, I was/am a manual flash shooter and for Christmas was gifted with 2 58s and 1 43. My own stuff is Lumedyne and sunpack 120s and was Buff, always manual.

so I can put a 58 on the nex and control the others, but cannot seem to work anything off camera without a master on the camera? am I missing something?

Henry did a good summary, but I'll add a few comments.  I think flash is a weak spot of the Nex, certainly for my Nex-5, but at least with the Nex-7 you can probably use the bigger flashes and get wireless flash to work?  My Sony A100 DSLR does wireless flash OK, but the Nex-5 will not.  If you have it working with the 58 on the camera, that sounds like a success story to me, but I dunno!  You could always turn down the power on the master (or block it, bounce it), to allow more light from the other flashes, if that's what you're after.

also, each shot does its own preflash, which I kinda get but to do the odd portrait wtf how annoying and mucho blinkers, am I missing something here?

TTL requires a  pre-flash so that the camera can measure the scene.  This is going to be the same with any system.

If you operate in a more manual mode, you can fine-tune the settings for your portrait setup.  I've been considering setting up a simple slave flash for such situations.  I do like the convenience of TTL, but it's not necessary.  I have a friend that just set his camera (Nikon) to manual, metered for the background, then uses flash with a gel.  He got the info from the Strobist site.

at this point I'd get a 20 or for junk family stuff and do a manual setup with a wireless systme like quantums (still have a set)

Given that the Nex does a good job at higher ISO, I think I'd be pretty happy with the 20.  I guess what bothers me, owning the Nex-5, is that I already own flashes, including a Sony, and it bugs me to have to buy another one.

But i feel like while we've take ten steps forward, we've gone 9 back. read and reread but stymied.

Since you started saying that you're a manual flash shooter, maybe you could try to get that to work?

If this is what it is, I doubt Canikon is any better so will adapt but feel like I must be missing something??

The DSLRs will work better, even Sony's, but it seems like you should be able to get something to work for  the Nex-7 -- certainly a lot easier than I can with my lowly Nex-5!

bill

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow