A good reason for keeping a filter on your lens

Started Mar 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,720Gear list
Like?
Re: A good reason for keeping a filter on your lens
In reply to LaszloBencze, Mar 11, 2013

LaszloBencze wrote:

I'm a professional photographer taking pictures in many industrial situations with safety hazards and have always used UV filters on my lenses. I often read on DP review that using filters is silly and unnecessary.

Last week while on assignment I squatted down to take a low angle picture. I had a Canon 300 mm f4.0 lens in a pouch on my belt. The pouch was not deep enough and the lens fell out about two feet onto a concrete surface striking on the front edge. The force of the drop shattered the filter and damaged the lens cap.

When I got home I removed the remnants of the filter. There was no damage to the front element or to the threads in front. I just tested the lens and it is in the same condition as before the fall, sharp as a tack. However, I'm certain that if I had not kept a filter on it, the front element would have been damaged and the lens totaled. As it is I have to replace only a filter and a lens cap.

I never have understood the vehemence with which some people argue in favor of having no filters on lenses. This incident confirms for me the necessity of keeping them on.

I don't use them in my work at all except as effects.

If the lenses get dropped I have accidental damage cover and it has only happened twice in 10 years. Both lenses were fixed by Nikon in Japan at the insurer's expense.

But as with all things, whatever works for you is best!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow