Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vegasluvr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,102Gear list
Like?
Are you Professional?
Mar 10, 2013

Today I was covering an NBA game and a supposed professional photographer was blasting a Canon CPS Support member about not having a loaner camera available to him to cover the game. This guys camera went down in the first quarter (broken shutter).He is a newspaper photographer but now had to scramble for another body. No one's fault but his!

I took the guy aside and said don't berate the Canon CPS employee. You are a professional photographer. Do you think NASCAR drivers go into a race with only one engine? How about police officers. Do you think they go into a situation with only one bullet? NO, you have back up!

People complain about CPS not having enough equipment to loan. The purpose of CPS (Canon Professional Services) is NOT to be your back up! The loaner system was meant to be a tool for you to use to test new bodies or lenses. It was never meant to be as your source of back up if your main equipment went down!

I have seven (EOS 1Dx bodies, Three (s) 5D Mark IIIs) and at least three each of my prime lenses (EF300/2.8L II IS and EF400/2.8L II IS) lens as my back up. I never depend upon Canon CPS to provide me with bodies or lenses.

You are NOT a professional unless you have back up in case your equipment goes down. This is YOUR responsibility not Canon's or anyone elses. And if they cannot repair it in a few days for you, don't go bad mouthing Canon because they cannot repair your camera.

Instead of spending that money you are making on expensive toys for yourself or splurging on vacations, put some aside for your back up. If you cannot save enough money for back up then maybe you should choose a different career.

Vegasluvr's gear list:Vegasluvr's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow