Please Help Me Tweak My 7D to Improve Image Quality

Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 889Gear list
Like?
One Problem However...
In reply to Bangers and Mash, Mar 10, 2013

Bangers and Mash wrote:

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what was wrong and couldn't see it until I read your post. Of course . . . the lenses is open too much. During a photography course that I took, it was pointed out that one should strive to use an f/stop somewhere in the middle of the range of the lens. I believe they referred to it as a "sweet spot". A rule of thumb perhaps, as each lens would most likely be different.

-- hide signature --

"The best camera of tomorrow can't shoot a picture today".

Is that if you shoot sports at f/5.6 or f/8, as an example, you're going to end up with a pretty busy background.  Way too much in focus.  I really like to stay at f/2.8 if I can.  I've taken other sports photos at this aperture...quite a few actually...and they've been much better than these ones and the bokeh is incredible.

The vast majority of these cycling images were taken at f/2.8 and the results were much better than what I had yesterday:  http://stevenmitchell.zenfolio.com/p783154710

I think the difference here is the light.  These were really just horrible conditions yesterday.  Very bright and sunny, overhead light, 12:30 in the afternoon...just a real challenge to get sharp and properly exposed images.

As you can see from the cyling photos above, the 7D can produce some great images.  You just need to have better light.

Anyway, thanks for all of your help...I really appreciate your time!

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow