new 80-400 focus breathing 400mm becomes 261mm at close focus

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,013
Like?
Re: Hmm, you keep on going
In reply to Rich Dykmans, Mar 10, 2013

Rich Dykmans wrote:

Ok, that is a silly post. The examples I gave are clear enough, don't you think (about that such breathing is not inherent to a tele (zoom) lens)? A bit of a trolling question if you ask me.

If you still think that the designer of this lens did a fine job concerning widening of the FOV, fine. You are free to believe whatever you want.

I keep on going?? count your posts on this thread! I just asked a simple direct question because you claimed you are here to "inform".

Do I think focus breathing shouldn't be inherent? I don't know. That's why I'm asking you because you've made numerous statements on this thread claiming they could have designed this lens differently. I would like to know what facts/data you based those statements on.

I gave you facts. I pointed out that the Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 VR II gives similar strong widening breathing. So could they have designed THAT lens differently? Yes, I pointed out that the Canon 70-200mm's all show a very different behaviour: they narrow the FOV even... towards MFD.

I also pointed out that the OLD 80-400mm shows less breathing. If there ever was a clear indication that it is not inherent to a 80-400mm... Further, it was pointed out that the Canon EF 100-400mm L IS USM shows less breathing. And that the Nikon 200-400mm f4 VR shows a lot less breathing. What more do you want? The Sony 70-400mm? Shows less breathing.

If you are an expert on lens design please tell us how they could have designed this lens differently and not compromised another feature that possibly more users care about?

Why do you even propose that I would be "an expert on lens design"? Looks like you just want to undermine simple facts with FUD.

The facts are so simple and easy to understand, one does not need to be "an expert on lens design" to get that. Really now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow