Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sierra Dave
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?
Re: As an outsider...
In reply to Wyville, Mar 10, 2013

Wyville wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

And the E-7 is not a camera that will be made to sell the 4/3rds system to new comers anyway, if it comes to exist- just like the E-5- a nice perk for those of us who have 4/3rd lenses and want to continue to use that system.

I use a Canon 7D, 17-55 EF-S and 100-400L, which I find a great setup. Recently though I have had a second look at Olympus and actually think the 4/3 system might be able to compete very well if positioned right. (I'm a natural optimist.)

My point of view is that of the wildlife/bird enthusiast, and what I hear a lot is people wanting a high performance crop camera to provide reach. The 7D does that pretty well, but Canon's new tele primes are extremely expensive and fully focussed on professionals.

With the sensors being developed for high end m4/3 cameras like the E-M5, it might be possible to develop (in parallel) 4/3 cameras that offer the extra AF speed, tracking and buffer that could draw in enthusiasts who are looking for a more compact, high performance, and less expensive alternative to Canon and Nikon.

Tracking AF speed and accuracy has never been good on 4/3 cameras.  Considering that Olympus had 6 years to do something about it, I think you're being more than a little optimistic to believe that they're capable of doing what you're suggesting, even if the market were there.

Sierra Dave's gear list:Sierra Dave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow