Please Help Me Tweak My 7D to Improve Image Quality

Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 889Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, both images are a little soft.
In reply to linzybel, Mar 10, 2013

linzybel wrote:

Overhead light -- note the tiny shadows. Skin tones will be cool, eyes will be hidden, and necks will be shaded.

Busy backgrounds -- you need longer lenses to blur the background or you need change your angle of view so that the backgrounds are farther away relative to the subject. If you're in the first-base bleachers, the best shots will be of plays at first base, provided you can keep the shortstop and second basemen out of the background.

Slight softness -- are you using a tripod? Are you focusing manually? Perhaps for static situations, as with the batter in the batters box, manual might be better. Preset the focus and fire when ready.

Yes, this could have a lot to do with it.  This game was at 12:30 which is the absolute worst time in terms of light.  And, as you can see, it was very sunny.  Normally, I shoot sports at f/2.8 but today I played around with the aperture and shot at f/4 thinking it would make the images sharper...obviously, that didn't work.  I spend a lot of time standing next to the first base dugout on a small hill about 6 feet higher than the playing surface.

The majority of the time I shoot with a monopod but on the shot where the player is running to first that was handheld but at a shutter speed I thought would be fast enough to negate any issues with motion blur.  I don't focus manually but that's something I'm willing to try.

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow