Noticeable difference in image quality between the Panasonic GX1 and the GH3?

Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sgt_Strider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,004
Like?
Noticeable difference in image quality between the Panasonic GX1 and the GH3?
Mar 10, 2013

I've already read the reviews and seen the data from DXOMark. There is no doubt that the sensor on the GH3/E-M5 is better than the one on the GX1. Obviously the newer sensor will have better technology. However, is the difference actually perceptible especially with the GH3's better noise performance and capable of handling higher dynamic range?

Right now I have the GX1 and I'm thinking of adding another one to my setup given the value that it provides over the GH3 at the moment. In real world situations and assuming I stick with ISO160 or ISO 200 on the GH3 and go no higher than ISO 1600, will I be able to actually perceive the actual performance enhancement of the GH3 sensor in more than 50% of the time? Or the actual advantage of the GH3 is more subtle and be noticeable under more extreme situations? If that's the case, then perhaps I'm better off buying another GX1 instead of ordering the GH3?

Thx!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow