Explain this to me about Lightroom 4...

Started Mar 2, 2013 | Questions thread
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,438Gear list
Like?
Thank you Richard - doubly helpful!
In reply to richardplondon, Mar 10, 2013

richardplondon wrote:

The registration of Elements (or of Photoshop) as an external editor with Lightroom does sometimes cause problems, since there are quite a lot of ways the proper "edit in Photoshop / edit in Elements" workflow (as it is meant to work) can get disrupted. This workflow is not by means of "Export", it is worth repeating for anyone who is unsure - when working properly - but, direct and seamless.

Firstly, if you have some other copy of Photoshop or Elements software installed too (such as, an older or a trial version), uninstalling this can wrongly remove some Windows registry entries relied on by LR, and the removal of these breaks LR's recognition of the editor that you DO want to use. I believe this can be resolved by re-installing the desired editor program.

Next, when setting up Elements manually as an external editor, it is important to browse to the editor program executable directly, and not to the "startup screen" executable (which links indirectly to the editor, or the organiser, etc).

There are other causes, and fixes, too - a good source for help on these, is searching the Adobe user-to-user forum at http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom

Thank you Richard! I was misled by the Luminous Landscape reference to saving PS files as tif or psd back into LR4!  I now see that I have to overwrite (apparently) the PR -edit.tif file from PS so that LR can carry on where it left off.

I read the reply by a Richardplondon in the forum you recommended (I had looked before but must have asked the wrong Q) and was going to recommend it:-

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4645158#4645158

Then I realised that was you!

In short, one can only to the LR>PS>LR transition once as LR effectively flattens the layers.

Thanks

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow