APS-C lenses -- do you use full-frame or APS-C mm-designations?

Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,804
Like?
APS-C lenses -- do you use full-frame or APS-C mm-designations?
Mar 10, 2013

I just bought a Pentax K-01 camera, and a 16-45mm lens for it... in 135-format terms, a 24-67mm lens. From back in film days, I still think in full-frame terms. If you say 24mm, I think wide-angle, not the view you get from 35mm.

If you own an APS-C camera, how do you think? If I say '50mm lens' to you, do you think 'mild telephoto' ... or do you think 'normal lens, which will be a mild telephoto on my camera'?

Reason I'm asking, is that if I write a post to other APS-C people, would I just say '16-45mm lens'... or would I always qualify it -- '16-45mm lens (24-67mm equiv)?

Note -- no offense to medium-format, micro 4/3, or 1" folks -- or all the much smaller-sensor owners... you all have your crop factor, and your unique 'equiv' statements. I just wish we didn't have to bother with 'equiv' -- that we could all use Field Of View in degrees or something, but I guess it would be just too hard to get everybody used to that.

-- hide signature --

Jonathon Donahue -- Olympus XZ-1 tips at http://jon404.com

Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow