No major still camera makers make POV cameras. Why?

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Questions thread
Beach Bum
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055
Like?
Agreed. :)
In reply to edispics, Mar 10, 2013

edispics wrote:

Just went through the exercise of comparing the GoPro with the AS15 for my brother's drone. The conclusion? Neither is remotely appropriate for high quality drone videos. In both cases the video lacked resolution and colour. The Sony was better in both respects than the GoPro, but nowhere good enough for commercial (real estate, marketing) use. He switched to a Sony CX260 camcorder and both resolution and colour improved dramatically, but the camera format proved difficult and he then switched to a Sony HX30 and the video quality is now consistently amazing. Moral of the story - the GoPro and AS15 can take a licking and keep on ticking. The GoPro has more mounting options, the AS15 has better video. If the primary objective is a take anywhere device that can really take a beating, you can't go wrong with either. But if video quality really matters, look elsewhere. That is why the most popular option for drone use is the Sony NEX.

It's just very frustrating to see clearly inferior brands and products continually being promoted on this forum, seemingly without any meaningful comparison or even rational thought.

Supposedly, this forum has some of the best thinkers with regards to cameras and photography, yet even the most cursory and absolutely objective comparisons show the exact opposite of the prevailing wisdom here. I'm not talking about being a fanboy here or subjective thoughts. It's my honest belief that there is no possible objective way that the GoPro could be considered the best at anything in its category, yet people continue to promote this garbage like it's untouched.

This $300 to $400 product is literally nothing more than a mediocre sensor with a wide angle lens. No image stabilization, poor low light performance, and, as you mentioned, not really good video.

Very sad indeed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow