steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 890Gear list
Like?
Re: Please Help Me Tweak My 7D to Improve Image Quality
In reply to pancamo, Mar 10, 2013

pancamo wrote:

8 FPS and single-shot?
Single, center point auto-focus?

I still don't understand why you are using single-shot... High Speed with Continuous Focus mode is what I use 100% of the time for actiion... you are limiting yourself to 2-3 FPS with singles-shot and causing unnecessary movements with each release.

Also with Single, center point auto-focus, you can miss your target... I use 5pt center most of the time.

but your shots look fine... just need better light/angle/subject...

To be honest, my shots seem to be sharper if I shoot AI Servo and single shot with a single center auto-focus point. I've shot using the various focus groups but I end up with a sharp photo of the grass behind the players most of the time rather than the players themselves. I know...it makes no sense. If I shoot 8 FPS and 3-4 shots per burst, the IQ and sharpness is not as good as when I shoot single shot (and that's on a monopod at 1/3200 - 1/5000).

I've been shooting this way for more than a year and have become pretty accurate at it. Pretty sad that I have a camera with 19 cross-type focus points and I only use the single center one isn't it?

This is why I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with the camera and it's not just me. I have, on dozens of occasions at various sporting events, shot 3-4 bursts in AI Servo mode, high-speed continuous (8 FPS) and I swear to you the images look worse than when I shoot single-shot, AI Servo, 8 FPS.

I'm glad you think my photos look okay...to me, I think they are WAY too soft but perhaps I'm expecting too much from the camera and lens I'm using.

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow