Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
Re: 1 stop improvement
In reply to Archer66, Mar 10, 2013

Archer66 wrote:

lesterbh wrote:

As far as the claimed 1dB dynamic range improvement

Link ?

I do recall seeing an earlier post that made a reference to a purported comment by one of the people that had their hands on a pre-production unit, so I never saw a statement by Sony with this claim.  I just searched this forum for that post but found nothing, however I could have read it on another forum.  So to be clear, the 1dB improved dynamic range is only a rumor as far as I know, but the improved adaptive noise reduction for JPEG's (with darker blacks) seems to be not a rumor.  Read the product announcement at TechChrunch.com for yourself and don't take my word.

I am actually not so much interested in this any more because it seems to be a processor feature not an advance in the actual sensor. This feature is apparently first appeared as a part of the new Bionz processer in the A99 camera, and the new Bionz processor in the A58 also seems to have inherited this feature.  I think it was a response to all of the negative press concerning the heavy handed noise reduction used in creating JPEG's in the previous models.

I personally do not like the JPEG output of the A37 at higher ISO's, so I shoot RAW and handle the noise reduction with Neat Image instead.  So perhaps I might be happier with the JPG's out of the A58 at high ISO in comparison, too soon to tell without some professional reviews to go by.

Les

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow