Please Help Me Tweak My 7D to Improve Image Quality

Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?
Really? Wow...
In reply to pancamo, Mar 10, 2013

pancamo wrote:

I dont see anything wrong with your 2 shots... its just boring... nothing really going on here special... mid day? Focus looks perfect... A little over exposed maybe, but its bright. AV compensate a little...

your lenses... for baseball, unless you are on the field, 200mm f2.8 is not enough... 300mm f2.8 is just enough from some sidelines, but 400mm f2.8 would be better (sometimes too much)... 100-400 or 200-400 would be nice for bball

Not sure what you are going to use your other 2 lens for... not really for sports...

> 8 FPS and single-shot

Why single-shot??? High Speed! Most action happens much faster than we can see, so use those 8FPS!

Light! Light is the most important factor in getting a shot... Midday baseball can be terrible...

get as close as you can, then 1/2 that distance!

Hmm, so maybe the issue is the light then.  Yes, mid-day light is horrible.  I wish all the games were at night or during cloudy days where the light is much more even and diffused.  I happen to think both of these shots (and all the other ones I got today) were lousy.  When you compare them to the photos in this gallery, I think I can see a major difference in terms of IQ and sharpness:

http://stevenmitchell.zenfolio.com/p425806073

I agree the 200mm isn't enough for baseball but for softball it's great (since the field is smaller).  The 85mm f/1.8 is actually a really good lens for volleyball and for softball if I'm standing right behind home plate shooting a runner coming in from third...or the infielders when they're in close protecting against a bunt, for example.

I shoot both 8 FPS and single shot in sports.  Believe it or not, I think my 7D is sharper when shooting single shot than continuous mode so that's why I use it a lot.  If you practice enough you can actually time things pretty well.  I agree 8 FPS is the way to go, however (assuming you're getting sharp images...which I don't think I am).

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow