Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
billbourd
Regular MemberPosts: 485Gear list
Like?
Computer programming your camera?
Mar 10, 2013

Until recently I had owned a security company and as such was very familiar with the control systems our techs installed, some of which were quite complex. The manufacturers of this equipment had started years ago to allow the programming to be done by computer, both onsite and remotely. Having had this experience and now owning a OM-D which has a vast array of choices to be made caused me to wonder why can't a camera allow programming be aided by a computer. We already have the USB connection. Would it be that complex for a camera manufacturer to have their programmers write a program to allow this? What a great learning tool this would be, to be able to hit the F1 key whenever a question arises and have the answer pop up. So much easier than having to refer to the manual, either paper or PDF. Both Olympus and Panasonic are both innovative companies and I wonder if either had thought of this, and if yes did they dismiss the idea as not worth the trouble. Personally I find a little frustration thumbing thru the menu system even now after owning my camera for a year.

What are your thoughts on this. Would being able to print out your settings of all the parameters and fully understanding them be worth it to you? Especially if the camera is new to you?

billbourd's gear list:billbourd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow