Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,467Gear list
Like?
Can't resist the GXR
Mar 10, 2013

I have been shooting on the Fuji X Pro 1 for over a year now and although I think Fuji has a good idea there, I feel their execution leaves way too much to be desired. It seems that they knew exactly what it would take marketing and design wise to draw people in, but there is really a lot of surface bling while issues of functionality, programmability, and user customization, all attributes that photographers appreciate, are left by the wayside.

I am pretty alright with the Fuji AF in most situations, however, I started resorting to MF in low light situations or instances where the contrast detection wasn't getting what it needed to lock on. That opened up a whole new way of thinking for me. The problem was that fly by wire MF is so, ugh, and there is no focus assist of any type. I don't need my old Nikon FF speed demon focussing, but the lack of peaking made things more miserable than they needed to be.

Then, while I think their optics are great, I just don't find their current lens selection to my needs, so I bought a Voigtlander 12mm, which I love, and have checked out a few other lenses that I really like, like the Rokkor 58mm 1.2, Voigtlander 50mm 1.1, Voigtlander 35mm 1.2, and various others. Thinking that I can use these lenses on APSC as well as full frame when that ultimately comes to pass on Fuji, Sony, and other systems (maybe Ricoh in the future) makes these lenses better investments overall compared to the system lenses that will get sold off if/when full frame arrives more readily in the compacts.

All that, along with the lack of programmable shutter speed in auto ISO, no functional histogram in Manual Mode, no EC in manual mode, no programmable buttons, insane method of changing focus points, and so many other details with attention lacking has led me here.

I actually asked Rattymouse to talk me down, but he knows all my reasons for wanting a GXR and just encouraged me to do it. So I am now looking at the GXR, M Mount module, and maybe another body as well since I use two X Pro 1 bodies and love the fewer lens changes. Also maybe the 28-300 module just for the times I want super zoom compact capability. I also want the VF2 because I hardly ever use an LCD for composing and I do like that it tilts.

My only reservation was with regards to flash since the hotshoe is taken up by the VF2. As I understand it, I can use the built in flash for fill, and it seems like I could get just about any slave flash, including the Ricoh unit to trigger off camera using the built in. If that is sound, I can deal with it. I can also setup a mounted bracket on the camera for those times it is necessary. Do you think it would trigger like that, or are there any better solutions?

So what do you think? Is this a pretty reasonable train of thought? Any and all insight is appreciated. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow