Started Mar 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jabs767
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
D800 and D4 does Avalon
Mar 9, 2013

Just a couple of shots from the 2013 Avalon International Airshow that has just been finalized in Australia.

The Airshow consists of 4 trade days and two and half days of public days.  The trade day show is culminated by a Twilight Airshow on the Friday evening.

This part of the festivities usually challenges photographers with backlit subjects in the late afternoon through to darkness and fireworks and flares in the evening.

A number of aircraft have flares attached or fire off explosives.  Some like the Lockheed Super Constellation are renowned for their flaming exhausts and old world sound.

The images attached were captured with the D3S, D3X, D4 and D800E.

I have been particularly impressed with the performance of the D800 as this the first use I’ve had with it at a show.  It performed flawlessly and will definitely replace my D3X.  It excelled in high write speed from the buffer to card far better than the D3X and only just beaten by the D4’s speed.

The high ISO performance was excellent and easily beat the D3S or D3X.

Lenses used ranged from the 200/2 through to the 600/4 VR II.

The AF capability of the D4 and D800 excelled with minimal shots lost due to soft focus.  Most were lost due to framing trying to keep up high pan rates with small FOV and fast small subjects.  The only times the AF marched off I attributed to dust on the front element as Avalon can be a very dusty environment.  After a good clean each night the problem were alleviated the next day.

Some shots were lost due to softness attributed to heat haze or shimmer.  This particularly obvious when after a cool night and some threatening showers, the next day everything was incredibly sharp.

Enjoy the images.  More can be found at www.johnabsolon.photoshelter.com .

Jet Powered Salto Glider

Temora Aviation Museum's Mk VIII Spitfire

F/A-18F Super Hornet

Number 4 of F/A-18F Super Hornet Formation - # 1 crosses in the background

RAAF C-17 on Approach (D800 with 600mm handheld)

USAF F22 Raptor

Matt Hall's MSX-R

RAAF 127 BAe Hawk

RAAF C-17 Fast Flyby

-- hide signature --
 Jabs767's gear list:Jabs767's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Nikon D3S Nikon D3X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow