Change or die - OK - what's your next Change?

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dan Nikon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,503
Like?
Re: bad answer
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, Mar 9, 2013

You have to figure what your niche is, I suggest reading PDN and even going back issue by issue for a few years, see who is hot, what they are doing, awards issues, etc...

What a terrible, useless answer. No, really it is. "find out what your niche is"? So what, I try everything till something succeeds?
That is Bad Business 101 right there.

You most likely mistook what I said because I did not say it right...

Of course you don't try everything until you succeed, you have to know in your gut what you want to do and then be geographically close to where that market is. I followed my heart, not my wallet, decided to live the life I wanted to live rather than business 101 run it. The wedding photographer that mentored me in my late teens and early twenties told me that what I wanted to do would not make me any money and that weddings and schools where where it was at...23 years ago.

I went my way and he went his, stayed in the LA area. He no longer does weddings because his market is gone and now only does schools. His work also looks basically the same as it did in the late 80's.

If you are not able to tap into enough of that 50% of the 550 wedding market in your area, are you putting out as good as work as the top earners within a few hundred miles of you? If you are then maybe there is just too much competition and that my friend is no longer a niche but purely mainstream and mainstream is dead sir...dead and buried.

Everyone with a camera thinks they are a photographer, you have to do more than compete on price and product offerings to succeed....you have to be mind boggling good at this point and that is the way it should be...

20 years from now, there will be very successful photographers in the world, if you are one of them or not depends almost entirely on the "American Idol" factor in terms of talent, persistence, hard work and sacrifice...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow