Forum ProPosts: 29,234
Like?
Re: No way.
In reply to jonrobertp, Mar 9, 2013

jonrobertp wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

x-vision wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Of course he did not share any details - but he did confirm both cameras.

Really? Both things can be true and there just be one camera.

You could be right as well. Don't know.

They keep us guessing, that is good for keeping interest up.

The way I'm reading Canon is that we will see sucessors to both the 60D and the 7D.
This is based not on Maeda's interviews - but actually on how Canon spec'd and positioned the 6D.

My reading of the positioning of the 6D is a bit different. I think it's effectively occupying the price point that the 7D would have - given that one of Canon's marketing aims will be to push each price point up a bit as they have with the 1D, 5D and xx0D lines. Therefore we might have expected a 7DII in the $2k range, but now the 6D is occupying that slot. I think that the 7DII will take the 60D's slot, plus a bit. Also, I can't see with DSLR's being a tight and declining market overall, that Canon (or Nikon for that matter) will want to proliferate models too much. Spread a smaller market amongst more variants and your margin goes down.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Bob, when will you come to the inevitable realization that the 7DII and the 6D are TOTALLY different units...

None of us knows what the 7DII is, since it hasn't been released, so how could anyone have a 'realisation' that is is a different unit from anything else? However, I didn't make any statement about whether or not the 6D is similar to what the 7DII might be if it is ever released, I just said that it occupies its price point.

and the price can be identical...and that makes no difference to most semi-pro or retired pro shooters.

But it probably makes a difference to Canon, since as I said it would proliferate product lines and lead to confusion at that price point. In addition, there are only so many people with $2k to spend on a camera, so it would possibly lead to less than economic sales of one or the other.

I can afford the 6D...and have zero interest. Tried it too. As have hundreds of others...no sale. What we want...let me repeat...is not a FF. Get it ?

What you want doesn't necessarily mean that is what Canon will give. It has never had same (launch) price models in its range before, and I don't believe it has now. I think its marketing people have decided that FF is a better offer at $2k than fast APS-C. That doesn't mean they think it will appeal to everybody, they think that it will appeal to more people.

We want crop sensor cams like a D70 at around $1200, and a top tiered 7DII at about 17-2200.

D70 is an obsolete Nikon, I'm sure that you don't want that. Are you saying that you intend buying both a 70D and a 7D? If not, whay to you ´╗┐want both. Might not a 7d alike at the 70D price point be a better bet.

Both will be made, whether you want them or not. Canon is NOT listening to you...lol.

No, and it isn't listening to you, either. It will decide what its going o do by reference to its own marketing expers. I just think its more likely to go the way I think than the way you think. I could be wrong, I have been before, and I'm sure that you have been too.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow