ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
francesco from rome
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
What camera is this? Is it a good deal?
Mar 9, 2013

Hi,

I hope to be in the right forum Please tell me if otherwise.

I have seen an used camera in a local shop, it is a Leicaflex with a Leitz summicron 50 f/2, for 350 euros. The state is reported as "good", which is a step down from the first one, denoted as "optimal".

As far as I can tell (from wikipedia), this is a SLR and not a rangefinder. Could you guide me to understand if it is a worthy camera or not? Is there some feature that I have to check to avoid issues? Is it overpriced? Is there some online guide to serial numbers to understand the actual production date?

In short, and keeping in mind the price, do you think it could be a nice experience for a photographer whose only experience is with DSLR (namely, canon) ? Or would it probably be frustrating? I would like sooner or later, if time and space permit, to try to develop BW film.

By the way: I know that Leica is typically known to be very expensive. The (relatively cheap) price of this used camera hints to the fact that it doesn't share the same quality/feel/... for which the brand is famous?

Thanks,

Francesco

UPDATE: By reading better the wikipedia article, I have found a link to the list of S/N, namely http://www.cameraquest.com/rtype.htm

francesco from rome's gear list:francesco from rome's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow