What to expect from a 60mm f/2.8G macro?

Started Mar 9, 2013 | Questions thread
bugzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,528
Like?
Re: What to expect from a 60mm f/2.8G macro?
In reply to Anisha Kaul, Mar 9, 2013

The point you're missing is f/10 is not going to give you much depth of field at these distances. The natural point to focus on for this shot is the stamens. We would expect to see them in focus. At f/10, with this composition, it would leave the petals out of focus. Shooting outside with a tripod and a remote release has its problems even though it's good technique. The slightest breeze would render all your efforts worthless.

Now, I'm going to suggest something here that might offend some people. Ditch the tripod and the remote release for the time being, crank up the ISO a little so you can increase the shutter speed and stop down the aperture and mess around with hand-held. Your shutter speed needs to be good and fast. I think you're going for the tripod and remote release too soon. Lower your expectations and mess around a little so you get a feel for macro. I do a lot of macro hand-held outside. Hand-held allows you play with composition more freely. The problem with this shot, is it's technically quite difficult but also nothing to write home about. You're capable of much better. Ditch the tripod for the moment and play with the lens. Have some fun. Because the thing you're going to find with this lens, and I believe it's a cracking little lens, is you're going to get some gorgeous out-of-focus effects. Opening up the aperture is going to give you lots of fun playing with selective focus. The sharp bits can be incidental to the bits that aren't sharp... and beautiful and dreamy. When you're shooting hand-held, you need to rock slightly back and forth to nail the focus. And really hammer that shutter button. You'll have a lot of near misses. That's normal. It's digital. You can afford to get creative.

When you want to be more disciplined, it's much easier to pick the flowers and take them indoors. Flowers tend to waggle about even in the tiniest breeze. If you take them indoors, and shut the windows and kill the fans, then you can get down to be being much more painstaking and controlled with your technique. This also gives you a chance to get familiar with your tripod and set it up for more interesting compositions.

It's supposed to be lovely lens, you just have to spend some time getting to know it. And, most importantly, having some fun with it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow