Started Mar 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bchamble
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
I admit I drank the Koolaid
Mar 9, 2013

Just received my new T4i with the 18-135 STM and the honeymoon stage is great.  Love the camera (coming from a T1i) and love the lens.  Lens is silent and AF is quick.

I will admit though that i drank the koolaid and also ordered the 40mm STM pancake and what can i say except for there is nothing exciting about it IMHO.  It's not particularly fast, the AF is noisy compared to the 18-135, it tracks terrible on video (you might try to blame on camera, but the 18-135 was great), 40mm is still long indoors, and it seems soft. I still need to get out and test a few more shots, but i don't see myself keeping this lens.  Before i get flamed for "you should have known so lol", I had high hopes for this lens being an outside walk around good for video on the T4i and sharp, but it just aint happening for me.

So here is to selling my T1i and 50mm 1.4 so I can drink the new Sigma 30 1.4 Koolaid.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/918894-REG/sigma_30mm_f_1_4_dc_hsm.html

Can't wait for the reviews to see how it compares to the old model.  30mm seems so much more friendly indoors for focal length on a crop.  I'm hoping this will be the new prime to have on a crop body and interested to hear how it compares to similarly priced primes in that range.  The 35mm f/2 is probably the only other short prime i'd consider at this time that wouldn't break the bank.

Question for those with short primes...  will the 30-35mm focal length distort  facial features for portraits?

Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow