Started Mar 8, 2013 | Questions thread
Jeepit
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
Re: SHG/HG VS Zeiss ?
In reply to alatchin, Mar 9, 2013

alatchin wrote:

Jeepit wrote:

Which one do you feel is the better lens, in terms of sharpness, value for your $, lens build and overall quality?

I bought into the Sony system for a few years and shot with the a850. In the lens department I had the 85mm and 135mm lenses from them, along with their 50mm macro, 50mm f1.4, 100mm macro, minolta 135mm f2.8, minolta 35mm f2, minolta 70-210 f4 and a couple of others.

The macro lenses were good, but when compared to the 35mm and 50mm Zuiko lenses, I honestly prefer the Zuikos. The 35mm is more versatile than the 50mm (bit more working room), and the Sony 50mm lens kept getting odd lens flare which was a pain. While the Zuiko 50mm is such a good size. All of them focused slow.

Minolta 135mm f2.8 was fun to use and small, Zeiss lenses were nice, but big and expensive, and the 135mm was very large. Sony just released an update to their 50mm f1.4 from zeiss and it costs an arm and a leg.

There are lots of minolta pieces available for the system, but they are all screw focus which can be slow, however the glass is nice enough.

Now I dont know what your plans are for shooting, but I got rid of my sony kit, and bought into m43rds. An OMD can be had today for around $850, if you add the Panasonic 25mm, and the Olympus 45mm you have a new sensor plus a couple of really very nice primes that focus fast and are small and portable.

I like what Oly has done with the OMD.  I have seen it at my local camera store and used it with the optional grip on it and I found it to be to small.  If OLY made the OMD larger as in the OM style size I would probably purchase it.

Compared to buying the A77 and 2 zeiss primes, you may even have enough left over to buy the E-5 replacement later this year.

I like the E5 , but the technology is already old.  The sensor is an older Panny leftover from 2009/2010.   My thought is if I' m going to spending E5 type of $ then I want to most up to date technology in the next camera I purchase, hence the reason I'm looking at the Sony A77/78.  I would like to stay with the size of a dSLR if possible.  I haven't seen any bad photos come from the A77 on the Sony forum, and I like what Sony has done with that camera.  I wanted feedback from Sony users on their lenses and from what I read Zeiss AF lenses match up to Oly Zuiko SHG/HG lenses.

Honestly, I wouldnt buy into sony unless you had a very specific need that was served by something they offered. Otherwise there are other options which might be worth considering in the interim.

Your feedback is valuable info I was looking for,especially this last sentence .  This is the wording I was hopping to get.  I would rather stay with Oly if possible due to my already small investment, but, not turned on by the size of micr4/3.  I would look at the Panny GH3 but it does not have IBIS and that's a big reason to stay with Oly especially since the  5-axis IBIS on the OMD E5.  Sony has IBIS but not so for Nikon or Cannon.  That only leaves with Olympus and Sony.  I am going to wait to see what Oly releases this fall and compare it to the A78 when that gets released at roughly the samr time.

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

Jeepit's gear list:Jeepit's gear list
Olympus E-330 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow