PRINTING AT HOME

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Questions thread
Mark McCormick
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
Re: PRINTING AT HOME
In reply to ronzie, Mar 9, 2013

ronzie wrote:

The Canon Chroma-Life 100 (Pro9000) did almost as well as the Fuji DL400 ink-jet. For Fuji the DL400 glossy ink set held up as least as well as the wet process silver halide. There are no tests for the typical home printer that I noticed (at least in Canon). (I included that for the OP's "home" printer reference.

I have only three samples of Chroma-life 100 inks in the database (see ID#s 84,85,86) and none for Chroma-life 100+. ID#s 85 and 86 were printed on swellable polymer papers which are no longer on the market, and those must be the samples you looked at to conclude the Pro9000 did almost as well as the FujiDL400. However, if you look at ID# 84 which was printed on Canon Photo Paper Pro (a microporous paper recommended by Canon for this printer) the PK (photo black) ink faded severely and at much lower exposure dose. Since the PK ink is only printed by the driver at or near RGB 0,0,0 values in an image, this differential fading of PK in these selective black image areas will look like bizarre posterization as this "fade-to-red" ink behavior begins to appear in the print.

Current industry-standard test methods don't test for system Dmax fade behavior, so ratings sponsored by Canon for the Chromalife 100 ink set basically ignored this problem. Bottom line is that Chromalife 100 PK ink is not compatible with today's microporous media, and the Pro9000 is therefore not in the same league with the Fuji DL400 results.

I would guess that Canon has made improvements to the newer Chromalife 100+ inks to quietly resolve this serious issue with the PK ink, but no one has submitted it for testing to date (most AaI&A members use pigmented ink systems). Weaker PK behavior is also present to lesser degree in Epson Claria ink. At Dmax levels, the Claria PK holds up well due to sacrificial excess ink, but as it feathers out in dark areas like the dark skintone patch E5 of the AaI&A color test target, it becomes more prone to oxidation and this patch will thus also show somewhat more fade prone behavior compared to other patches where no PK is used at all. Today's dry lab manufacturers like Fuji appear to be using Claria dye (it may well be that Fuji actually makes Claria for Epson), so again, evidence of some residual PK issues are there in the Fuji DL400 samples as well, but nowhere near the extent of the problem as with the Chromalife 100 PK dye.

I hope to acquire the Pixma Pro-100 soon (it's being heavily discounted/rebated lately because I personally wish to see today's latest dye sets more well represented in the Aardenburg database. The Pro-100 not only uses a PK ink, it also adds two levels of photo gray inks. the PRO-100's unique dye set will therefore likely give the Pro-100 a very different fade signature than other dye-base printers on the market today.

cheers,
Mark

Mark McCormick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow