Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,944Gear list
Like?
Re: Or does it
In reply to McKie, Mar 9, 2013

McKie wrote:

Hi Leonard,

I didn't post the pictures but if I had you would have seen that the viewfinder's right AF sensor was as accurate as the live view in my tests. I got sharp photos of the test charts using the viewfinder's centre and right AF sensors. To me that shows there is something up with the left AF - the right can handle it but the left can't - why would that be?

First apologies for mistaking the image as yours.

Second a few have reported good left autofocus and poor right autofocus.

Checking where autofocus can actually detect detail shows the extreme outer points detect vertical detail only (as most know) slightly inside of the position of the other vertical reading line detectors.

Using the letter F as a subject neither side is likely to focus good if covering only the vertical part of letter F. If lined up slightly to the right of the letter F the left AF can usually focus the horizontal direction parts of the letter, and the right cannot. Reverse the F, line up slightly to the left and the right can usually focus and the left cannot.

This autofocus idiosyncrasy applies to the D3s and D7000 as well as the D800.

One the challenges in determining if there really is a left/right autofocus issue is, so far on this forum I have seen 123 links to images similar to the one I mistook as yours, where Nikon caution autofocus may not work accurate. I have seen no images which seem to follow Nikon's guidance.

I accept there maybe the odd problem camera. With 123 on this forum appearing not to test to a satisfactory standard to reach a fair conclusion, and those testing to a good standard finding no fault, it does seem a major issue might be a small but vociferous group of posters reaching a conclusion based on less than ideal testing.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow