The new Samsung 50 - 200 mm III arrived - are there any questions?

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Usee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,807Gear list
Like?
Re: The new Samsung 50 - 200 mm III arrived - are there any questions?
In reply to viking79, Mar 9, 2013

viking79 wrote:

Usee wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Usee wrote:

timedrun wrote:

Shame, but thanks for posting. It is a similar story with my MK1, it's pretty nice (for what it is) up to 150mm, again, thanks for taking the time.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

Yes,

it is a shame, how a good idea is badly executed, thus wasting time, energie, ressources and nerves.

I like to see a first class 60-240 mm F4 zoom - if it is well executed (tack sharp across the frame - wide open and with nice bokeh!), it would be worth spending even 1000.- €

I assume you are referring to the SMC Pentax DA* 60-250mm f/4? I love that lens, and yes, it is well over $1000 US.

I'm not referring to a particular lens, but good to know for Samsung, that a good lens in that range already exists.

I think your shots look pretty typical for a 50-200 mm kit lens (from most brands). People always judge the lens over the entire range, but forget that a lens like a Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 covers a lesser range, and in the case of the Pentax DA 50-200mm I had at one point, it was pretty good over the 50-135mm range, but also goes out to 200. It was also light in comparison, but it was easy to say it wasn't good at 200mm so dismiss the lens.

Eric

Even if it were a 18-270 mm zoom...

...the misalignment isn't acceptable - the performance at 200 maybe...

...but why carry a slow lens with a 200 mm capability, if one doesn't like the sharpness at that range?

-

Look at the sharpness on the left of the frame at 100 mm and 50 mm...

...and compare that with the right side of the frame - day and night!

Sorry, was speaking generally for that class of lens. You are right, that sample appears softer on the right. That might bug me I would want a good copy. I have an 18-55mm kit that is that way too.

Eric

Beside that You are right, that it is a general problem of several manufactures and more often seen in stabilized super zoom lenses, which are technically far more demanding than a unstabilized prime lens...

...there is no excuse like:

"Oh, others do - so we (also) can!"

...because there is no alternative lens available from Samsung yet and

what really annoys me, is that one can see, that the optical construction of the 50-200 mm zoom, could deliver a very good performance for a lens in it's class (especially at it's price) - but fails to do so, simply because of faulty manufacturing!

A nice construction doomed to fail because it was thrown together and not assembled!

-

@all:

We shouldn't waste our ressources - so, stop making trash!

-- hide signature --

Envy is the highest form of recognition.
Stop to run, start to think.
Think twice - that doubles the fun!
Your world is as big, as Your mind.
Avoid to have only one point of view!
Uli

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow