Why woory about BIFs with an EVF ? (A77 and A99)

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gary-West Sussex
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?
Re: Why woory about BIFs with an EVF ? (A77 and A99)
In reply to RichVic, Mar 9, 2013

Hi Richard

Thanks for liking my pics...... I originally posted because there were comments starting to re-emerge saying "you can't do BIFs with an EVF" ...... and I think you can..... but you need to learn how to exploit the strengths of your camera..... which means lots of practice......which is the same for any camera regardless of make.

Most of these shots were with an A77 using a Sony G 70-400 at max reach and f5.6 with ISO Auto set to 100-1600 and let the camera shoot as fast as it can at 12fps.  Its critical to get early focus lock otherwise you will lose the first 2 or 3 frames whilst the camera locks onto the subject. Also once the shutter speed drops to 1/500 if the light drops you are no longer going to get sharp shots due to motion blur.

The Redshank (1st pic) was taken with an A99, same lens and settings but Auto ISO 100-6400 and manual focus shooting at 6fps.  The important difference of this shot was that I was originally photographing this Redshank feeding in the shallows using manual focus, with peeking and focus assist, when it suddenly took off and flew sideways - therefore I just tracked it and kept the shutter firing until the focus peeking showed it was no longer in focus. I got about 4 decent images from this pan.

The key to success is practice.......try and photograph any bird that is flying in order to improve your technique so that when you really need it you are well up your learning curve.

Hope this is helpful

Gary

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow