Started Mar 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
scott_mcleod
Contributing MemberPosts: 937
Like?
G1X shot-to-shot speed question
Mar 9, 2013

I am seriously looking at getting a G1X (especialy with the recent price drop!) but one performance spec has me worried - shot-to-shot speed. I mean individually, not in continuous mode, because I like to shoot panoramas. IR tested the camera with a 45MB/s card and got an astoundingly slow 3.46s in RAW (that's half the speed of my 2006-tech A630 which admittedly is 8MB JPG only), and a continuous rate of 1.09fps. I would be fine with 1.09s frame-to-frame but taking more than 30s to shoot a 9-frame panorama would be pretty much a deal-breaker (being slow enough to show motion in clouds, etc.)

DPR used a 90MB/s card and only got 1.2fps, but didn't give a figure for single shot-to-shot times.

Can any G1X owners comment on the single-shot speed using a 90MB/s card?

Or an even dumber question - is it possible to get more speed by setting the drive mode to continuous, and just firing off one shot at a time (re-framing between each shot for a pano)? I figure that at just over 1fps I ought to easily get my finger off the button in time, but I don't know if what I'm proposing will actually improve on the single-shot speed...

TIA for any advice on this topic

Scott

Canon PowerShot A630
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow