Started Mar 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tjdean01
Senior MemberPosts: 2,062Gear list
Like?
Nikon CP-A Merrill
Mar 9, 2013

I enjoy shooting with fixed/prime lenses.  Even though it's not necessarily true, something's ingrained in me that I'm getting better IQ.  Or maybe I just like zooming with my feet!   Unfortunately I will only use a camera that's on the smaller side meaning I've had very little to choose from over the years.  I don't like Ricoh's IQ.  I have a DP1x (maybe upgrade to Merrill someday) and it's the very best IQ at lower ISOs and....that's about it.   So, as far as me wanting 28 mm landscape shots, I'm good using this Sigma.  But I can't rely on this one-trick pony for all my photographic needs.  Sometimes I want to go higher ISO, different focal length, faster lens, IS, etc.

Obviously there is no compact jack-of-all-trades camera that can match Sigmas IQ.  A smaller Olympus PEN model with a pancake prime lens would its nearest competitor in the size range and give us IS, lower noise, faster lenses, etc.  Or you could say the Nikon P7700/Olympus XZ-2-type cameras are competitors from another angle.  There is no "winner" here per say, because each of the three types wins at something: Sigma - IQ; PEN - high ISO, IS, fast lens; enthusiast compact - zoom, fast lens, flash, IS.

Enter yet another winner-in-a-few-categories, the Nikon Coolpix A. Could my possible ugrade from the DP1x be not the DP1M but rather, a Nikon?  Hmmm.  I'd loooove to see some outdoor low-ISO comparisons between these two cameras.  Can the Nikon reproduce the colors without the Foveon?  No, but will it be good enough?  Will the lens be as sharp as the Sigmas'?  All I know is that I want to find out!  If this lens is sharp, and the sensor good, we could quite possibly see usable ISO3200 like on some m4/3s models.  And it has a flash.  And is ergonomic.  And looks cool and normal and is made of magnesium.  Hmmmm.  I remember years ago I upgraded my Canon to a Fuji because Canon insisted on smaller sensors.  I'm excited to see how this Nikon compares to the Sigma IQ.  Like I said it probably won't match it, but it might be so close that with all the other benefits I personally would rather have the Coolpix A than a Sigma DP1M.  Hope we find out soon!

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow