Started Feb 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,029
Like?
Re: Doubtful
In reply to Jerry-astro, Mar 9, 2013

Jerry-astro wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Could you let me have a link. Generally when I see these VP statements, they are ambiguous marketing speak, designed to be read as you want to read it, even after translation from the Japanese. There are people waiting around for cameras all over these forums on the basis of these statements. Over Nikonwards, they think they've been promised a D400 and on the Olympus forums they've come to the conclusion that a VP has committed to a E-7.

Sure. It's from Masaya Maeda, Canon's imaging CEO. He answered a direct question w.r.t. The future of the 7D as follows:

DKW: As for the readers of DigiKame Watch, there are many who are waiting for the EOS 7D’s sucessor. Up through the release of last year’s major firmware update, there were many who felt that a new model with even better specs would be released shortly…

MM: Yes, they would be correct. For us, it’s about looking at what the camera has the potential to be and then adding that to what it can currently do. I do think the current model is still very attractive to buyers. And while we are, of course, developing its successor, it’ll be one that incorporates a certain number of innovative technologies. We will not be putting out a product with merely better specs, but one that has evolved into new territory. But then again, we’re not talking about something a long time from now either.

Here's a link to the article and interview quotes from Canon Rumors:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/02/eos-70d-is-coming-the-future-of-pro-aps-c-is-unknown/

While he's clearly adept at VP-speak, I think he's pretty forthright on this issue, anyway.

I would say otherwise. Tons of room for manoeuvre there. What is 'it's successor' - one camera can be a successor to two models, and they will not be putting out a product with merely better specs but one that has evolved into new territory. No 'merely better specs' an mean 'different specs' and 'new territory' can mean downmarket as well as up. I can't see that statement invalidates what I think will heppen at all. After all, I said the new camera would be called the 7DII, I thought it would have better specs (not much better) and I thought it would go into new territory.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow