Can you recommend an external HD for me?

Started Mar 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Say Cheese
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?
Can you recommend an external HD for me?
Mar 9, 2013

Hi friends,

I own a late spring 2009 iMac, running Mountain Lion. I have Time Machine installed, Airport Express, and a wired printer.

My internal HD has a capacity of 650 GB, of which I've used 564 GB. It's getting too close to full for my comfort.

I'm thinking of getting an additional external hard drive, on which I would move all my photos. Presently, they represent 315 GB on my computer.

Given the computer is old (but purchasing a new one is not an option at present) I'm hoping moving all the photos to an external drive would speed things up and keep me from overloading the internal drive. It would free up 249 GB of space.

I have 4 USB ports and 1 FireWire 800 port which is used by Time Machine on an Iomega drive.

My question is this: would I plug the new HD into the FireWire port on the Iomega drive, or would I plug the new drive into the computer and have the existing Iomega be plugged into it, or does it matter?

I'm assuming that a USB 2 port is too slow for an external HD and that current external HDs still can be purchased that use a FireWire 800 port. Is that all correct?

Any particular recommendation for the external HD?

-- hide signature --
 Say Cheese's gear list:Say Cheese's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow