Started Mar 4, 2013 | Questions thread
Rudy_from_Canada
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
Re: field of view shift in Tamron 24-70mm
In reply to Willy van Dreumel, Mar 8, 2013

Willy van Dreumel wrote:

MrsPatty wrote:

Have owend my Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 since Christmas and this issue just started two days ago.

When focusing, both in manual or automatic, as soon as you have it focused, it does a slight jog to the right. Set on autofocus, it comes in focus and does the shift to the right. On manual focus, it shifts as soon as I slightly press the shutter button.

It's not changing the focus - it's the whole field of view that shifts - as if someone nudges 'the picture' to the left.

For example, if I have my center focus point on the corner of a square to focus – as soon as it shifts, the center focus point in now just to the left of the corner instead of on the corner, like the whole field of view shifted right.I checked and I do not have this issue with my other lenses.
Any suggestions? whys/hows?

Yes, I can confirm this behaviour. At Photokina 2012 I tested several copies of this lens, they all seemed to do this. According to the Tamron representatives, it's a design characteristic and not a flaw. Of course, on that matter, opinions may differ.... As far as I could tell, this was caused by some mechanical tolerances in the VR (IS) system. In rest position the VR elements are not truly centered. Once you power on the VR (shutter button half-press or AF-button), the VR elements are pushed in place. Easiest way to avoid this seems to be disabling the VR system. With the VR system disabled, it didn't seem to occur, at least not in this amount. That is what I observed at that time, I don't know if it had to do with pre-production examples or anything.

Very odd.  I've had my 24-70 for a few months now and I've never had this happen to me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow