Macro lens on 60D

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Drogba88
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
Re: Macro lens on 60D
In reply to batfinkgtr, Mar 8, 2013

I got into macro about a year ago and since then have acquired the Canon EF-100mmL macro, the EF-S60mm macro, a set of extension tubes and a focussing rail.   The 60mm lets you get 1-1 magnification but you are much closer to the target than using the 100mm, so if it is insects and suchlike you are after the 60mm will probably scare them away.    For something static, the focussing rail - not expensive - gives you rock-steady focussing and you can use the 60mm.  I got my extension tubes (metal) from Adorama in NYC (not expensive) and they work fine.   You could always try a reversing ring on your 50mm, but as you know DOF in macro is almost non-existent and I suspect you would find focussing very difficult.

If you can afford it and really want to get into macro, get the 100mmL, but the non-L version is almost as good and a lot cheaper.  If you have a steady hand, the focussing rail can wait, but it sure makes things easier!    Good luck with whatever you decide.

-- hide signature --

--
Giraffe

Drogba88's gear list:Drogba88's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
100LNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow