Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Meomaxy
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Picking a first DSLR
Mar 8, 2013

I've always owned decent middle-of-the-road point-and-shoot digital cameras. The one I happen to have now is a Canon PowerShot A590IS. What I dislike most about it is the family shots I miss due to shutter lag. Second, I think pictures from large sensor cameras look much better overall. Thus, I decided that I should get a DSLR, but I can still be pretty cheap if I buy used.

I'm reading reviews online of older cameras that can be bought used or clearance today for say around $400 and down. It is so confusing to compare reviews of new equipment from different years. Take this example of a smattering of quotes from the reviews of Ken Rockwell. I know he's not equally beloved by everybody, but all the web sites give similar confusion. Try to simultaneously follow all of his bits of advice about Nikon DSLRs made over several years:

"The Nikon D70 is the best digital camera I've ever owned. I love my D70 to death."

"In December 2005 I got my D200, which is newer, more expensive, bigger, heavier, and even easier to use. Thus my D200 becomes my best and my D70 is second best."

"My D200 is the best digital camera I've ever owned. I've made over 28,000 shots on it as of January 2007."

"In 2006 the D80 completely obsoletes the D70s."

"I don't use my D80 anymore. When I want a fun, light camera, I grab my D40."

"The D200 has been superceded by the far superior D300."

"The Nikon D90 is a fantastic camera. It's Nikon's newest and best DX format DSLR. I prefer it to the old D300..."

"If you're considering a D300, forget it. Get the D90 instead."

"NEW, May 2011: The new Nikon D5100 exceeds the performance of this old D90 in almost every way, and costs less, too."

"The D3100 becomes my first recommendation for a low-cost, high-performance DSLR to replace the Nikon D40."

Got all that?

The best plan I can think of right now is to either buy any one of these cameras based on what I can get cheapest on eBay. Then I can gradually upgrade bit by bit.

And, of course, there's always Canon...

Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D3100 Nikon D40 Nikon D5100 Nikon D70 Nikon D70s Nikon D80 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow