Looking for a "cheap" MD/MC macro lens.

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,466
Like?
Re: Looking for a "cheap" MD/MC macro lens.
In reply to JoeyCF3, Mar 8, 2013

JoeyCF3 wrote:

I read that "zoom lenses" produce poor quality on the NEX system. Is this just BS?

So if I pick up a 70-150 Vivitar lens, would that allow me to zoom/focus up close to insects?

Thanks guys!

Zoom lenses produce excellent quality on the Nex if they are of excellent quality. Many people here have been proving that point with various zoom lenses. So yes, it is BS.

Legacy zooms, although there are exceptions, usually are of lower quality than primes. When you go into macro photography, sharpness and accuracy are required, which is the reason why most people will select prime lenses.

I do not know the Vivitar 70-150mm f3.8, but the little I read about it is that is is labelled as "Close-focusing".
A Vivitar "Close focusing" usually means that you can get a good magnification ration sometimes close to 1:2, which may not be enough for insects. I use a Vivitar 135mm f2.8 "Close Focusing" prime, and the interest of this lens for me is that I can have a 1:2 magnification ratio at 50cm with a high quality. I do not think I would have a similar quality in a zoom lense from this era.

The most important step is to define what you want to photography, so that you can define the focal length you are interested in. Flowers ? A 50mm may be enough. Insects ? A 90-105mm may be a good start, but maybe 300mm may be necessary. Maybe you have some example pictures that you could link us to ??

The problem really is to be able to define what you would like to shoot, and to name your budget.

Marc

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow