Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,513
Like?
Re: Mirrorless cameras part 2.
In reply to Martin.au, Mar 8, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

Snipped

I've never seen the purple flare issue.

Others have and have posted, It is an issue.

An issue of which I'm certain you are most knowledgeable about? I don't think so. If you consider that quirk to be an example of a terrible quality, then I presume you would also consider that the banding often found in Canons, or the oily sensors of Nikon are also examples of terrible quality?

Lower IQ and not as good of design but not terrible. I understand there are limits but banding is part of poor design. But the purple goes far beyond banding, Banding cannot be seen in most 8x10. You most definately see the purple artifact.

I bet you don't. Do you know why? Because you have no interest in assessing these things objectively. You only want "your side" to win.

Would I rather deal with banding (which not every camera has it) or purple blobs in the middle of the photography. I will take banding any day of the week. I would prefer dust spots on the sensor (some cameras are more prone to this and are also of poor design or at least quality control. The purple artifact is on the order of blooming and streaking I have seen in some point and shoots.

Dunno what you mean about lens view or live view as the OM-D also has EVF+LCD.

Sorry, that is not the same as looking through the lens.

I've used both OVF and EVF. I prefer the EVF slightly, but both are fine. Not sure exactly what magic you think the OVF provides.

OVF offers higher resolution. It is not the same.

In short, you got nothing.

For you, but the camera is clearly superior, it is less expensive, you don't need to buy an extra battery for it or a flash because it is built in.

What camera? So far you've been diligently avoiding putting together a kit to compare.

And why would I need to buy a flash?

Just about any current camera from Nikon or Canon. If you don't know why you need a flash, I am not going to tell you.

There's your mistake. You seem to be under the impression that the "best camera on earth" could actually exist, but all cameras are compromises. You choose the one which works the best for you.

I said that and I am glad Oly works for you.

I am honored you dragged me to a new thread but really, it is a waste of time. I own Nikon and Canon and mirrorless is a step down for me and you are sold on the Oly, to each his own but regardless of what you think, there is not that big of a difference in size. And at that point, I grab the camera phone which there is a huge difference.

I guess I'll just have to put a kit together myself. You keep suggesting Canon. We'll start there.

You feel the need to justify your purchase, a sign of malcontent. If you are happy with it great. If not get a Canon or a Nikon. I am not hung up on Crop or FF you get the one you can afford or you want.

So, weathersealed,

SNIP

Now, perhaps you can have some perspective on how other people do photography. For you, a Canon may be perfect. For me, it looks like a very poor choice.

Purple defect is not a choice for me. If you prefer it to banding. In actuality, I though Oly and some of the other mirrorless had their place, and though I would not purchase one I could see how someone could, if size is an issue, you must have the smallest but most people will chose a better overall system I would think over size but not all.

Back to my point.

I believe and am of the opinion that because of the advancements and popularity of the camera phone, the superiority of Nikon/Canon crop and FF camera, the purple issues of mirrorless (since I have now heard it appears on more than one brand) that mirrorless will get lost in the middle. We have already seen the decline in the US. I think people will come around to the idea, don't carry a brick carry a camera phone, if you must carry a brick, better to have a good one that does not have purple artifacts.

While others are saying DSLRs are dead, I am saying there is more changes of mirrorless falling into obscurity between the crack of camera phone and dslr. That was my point, not what brand you like or which kit you like or why you feel the need to justify your purchase.

Now the Nikon D7100 however.......

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow