Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lpammann
Senior MemberPosts: 2,151Gear list
Like?
Birding at 510mm [8 imgs]
Mar 8, 2013

A few days ago I posted some shots I took with my K5+DA*300. Yesterday I went back to the same trail and photographed the same birds, but this time I used my K5+1.7AFA+DA*300 combo. One thing I think these show is that the DA*300 has lots of IQ headroom for adding a TC. As a result, if Pentax ever gets around to producing a 1.4 TC that is optimized for its DA* lenses, 300, 200, 60-250, and can AF with SDM, I think many of us with one of those lenses would buy it. Of course that also would rule out production of a new lens in the 400mm range, although I don't think this would impact the 560, so bottom-line issues ultimately will control their decisions. But if Pentax wants to generate instant cash inflow, then they should give us an autofocusing-capable 1.4 TC.

These images were cropped for composition and then down-sized for the web. EXIF is attached so you can see what the original sizes are. I entered 400mm for the focal length with the 1.7AFA instead of 500mm. This combo certainly is light-weight for hiking. One idiot-synchratic behavior of the 1.7 is that it prefers to do at least a little focusing itself regardless of how well I manually focus initially. These shots required minimal PP, in particular a lot less than what I always needed with my old 50-500.

LPA

Barred Owl in the morning sunshine:

A Cooper's Hawk with eyes a linebacker can only dream about:

Red-shouldered Hawk:

However, when I'm in a BIF situation, I prefer to take the 1.7 off and shoot with just the DA*300 like I did when this RS Hawk took off for some hunting. In this case I didn't need or want any more reach because it was flying so close.

lpammann's gear list:lpammann's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +1 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow