What is the maximum ISO you're comfortable shooting (and what camera)?

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Sammy Yousef
Sammy Yousef OP Veteran Member • Posts: 4,582
Re: It depends

MikeFromMesa wrote:

Sammy Yousef wrote:

That photo is quite impressive. I probably would have traded 2 shots of ISO for 2 shots of shutter, but it doesn't change the fact that the photo - at least at the size you displayed - is quite visually appealing.

Possibly so. I was in a touristy place taking a lot of images with my 24-105.

My general policy, when I am shooting AV mode as I was then, is to keep my shutter speed at 2-3 times my focal length (which was 67 in this image) so I could have shot this a little slower (and with a somewhat lower ISO). But 2 stops slower would have put me at 1/60 and my hands are probably not steady enough for that.

Have you tried "da grip" ala Joe McNally?

I think he overstates/over-dramatises a little, but there's no doubt this works. I find I can shoot comfortably at 1/focal length most of the time...but I do now use VR for 70 and up (70-300VR).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk

The only thing is of course it doesn't limit subject motion. Don't try shooting an F-18 on fast pass at 1/200th and wonder why it's not crisp.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
EKB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow