Tele Lens vs. Telephoto Lens Followup & Mirror Lenses

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,421Gear list
Like?
Re: Questions for Kent
In reply to KentG, Mar 8, 2013

Hi Kent,

Thanks for that - I've learned something about mirror-tele designs.

You mentioned the term Klevtsov-Cassegrain.  Was that in response to my reference to the Katoptoron (or similar spelling)?  It must be 20 years ago, but I seem to remember that it was made by a firm called Makowski or Makovski (or similar, my apologies).   Are we talking about the same beast here?  It looked like a rectangular box, like a large biscuit tin,  with a primary lens opening at the bottom of one end and a camera stuck into the top of the other at a downward angle.  (The light path was folded inside the rectangular body.)  Is that it?  And do you know their primary purpose and what happened to them?

And do you know anything more about the Vivitar 'solid cats'?  They looked very much like the routine camera mirror telephoto design, but they were heavier.  What was their reputation at the time?  IIRC it was very good.....  But if they were so good, why weren't they made for longer? - Too costly?  Problems with the synthetic optical material?

Thanks,  Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow