10 Days with the NEX-C3 from Olympus: Love It (5 Shots)

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,216Gear list
Like?
10 Days with the NEX-C3 from Olympus: Love It (5 Shots)
Mar 8, 2013

10 days ago I received my Sony NEX-C3 kit, which I paid $330 for with the 18-55mm. (For the prior year I had been using the E-PL1 and E-PM1 & intended to get a E-PM2, but it's still $500, then add $100 more to upgrade LR3.5 to LR4 for RAW file compatibility, and it still has an inadequate LCD which doesn't fill the screen full of the image.) Since then, I've acquired Nikon G and Canon FD adapters. I already had a 1980-era Nikkor 50mm 1.8 in very rough shape body-wise but fine condition f-stops, focusing and glass-wise (paid $5 for it at a garage sale in late 2010), and a 1970-era Nikkor 135mm f/3.5 pre-AI in mint shape (paid $44 for it on eBay 3-odd years ago). I also purchased a Canon FD 50mm 1.8 for $23 this week.

So portraits time it was!

I am finding out that, yes, manual-focusing with this thing can be a joy, certainly way better than on the Olympus. It can be challenging for me because I focus on the eyes and sometimes the lighting is such that the eyesockets are "shadowed up" and it's hard to tell if they're in focus, even focus peaking can't tell. But my "hit rate" has been way higher than it was with the Olympus.

Also, these observations

• I am also finding myself getting more used to the camera in general. Before it was jarring that in playback scrolling went image-to-image vs zooming-in as it did on the Olympus. After a couple of days I've pretty quickly become used to pressing OK to zoom in-out.
  • During image capture, the left-button is ISO, right is WB, bottom is "flexible AF" spot selection, flash exposure compensation or MF assist, center is AF/MF then flexible spot/multi/center then drive. I can now change most common settings quickly.
  • I am also finding out that, with the 18-55mm, OSS is WAY more predictable & effective than IBIS was with the E-PM1 (the E-PM2 may improve on the old).
  • With landscapes, I have found that mounting the tripod-based bubble level vs the hot-shoe one of the Olympus has worked out pretty well. I also see much wider dynamic range with the NEX-C3 (no surprise). Shooting with it has been a joy for landscapes, but so far I haven't gotten any good shots NOT because of the camera but because of the material. That will change soon.

Yesterday, I took some shots with the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and today I took some with the Nikkor 135mm f/3.5 and the just-arrived Canon FD 50mm 1.8. Here goes.

My son, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 at f/2 from four feet away (about 1½ inches of depth of field)

My son, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 at f/2.8

Then I decided to get REAL fancy and try out the Nikkor 135mm f/3.5 at f/4, from 7 feet away, only 8/10ths of an inch of depth-of field! How did I get the focus so accurate?

My son, Nikkor 135mm f/3.5 at f/4 (from 7 feet away, 8/10ths of an inch of depth-of-field!

Then I decided to try out the Canon FD 50mm 1.8, besides being in better shape than the Nikkor (although the Nikkor's glass is fine), it also allows ½ f-stops, this one was around f/2.5 (in-between 2 and 2.8)

Our daughter, Canon 50mm f/1.8 FD at f/2.5

Another shot, at f/3.2 (in-between 2.8 and 4)

Our daughter, Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 at f/3.2

Now I just need to get some good landscape shots, and to get some portraits REALLY worthy, with nicer clothing, fixed-up hair, and a more interesting setting. So far, I am loving the NEX-C3 and not regretting getting it vs spending $600 (500 kit, 100 LR4) on the Olympus E-PM2 instead.
---
http://i.pbase.com/o4/09/494709/1/110889096.M0pMoIEL.497203964_f3033fe68f_m2.jpg
LRH
http://www.pbase.com/larrytucaz
{ http://larrytxeast.smugmug.com/ (inactive) }

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-C3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow