Quick Macro question

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
mrmut
Contributing MemberPosts: 559Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-300 is not a poor lens
In reply to JiminDenver, Mar 8, 2013

JiminDenver wrote:

I have both and both have advantages over the other. Need 1-1 and the 70-300 is a poor choice. Don't want to get a inch from your subject or want the versatility of both telephoto and close up and the 35mm falls short.

Well, of course, but 35 is drastically smaller, more robust and effectively between 1.5 to 12 stops faster (F number and focal length). It definitely depends on what one need lens for, pro&cons, etc..

Aside from using both, I have run the Weekly close up in the summer for years. There I have seen just about every possible way to shoot a close up and there have been shots from people using a 70-300 that are as good as any posted. Honestly I think it is sharper in use as a close up lens than as a telephoto.

I generally dislike 70-300, but for non-critical photography with enough light it is more than enough.

mrmut's gear list:mrmut's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-450 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow