The new flagship of Nikon's DX-format HD-SLR lineup.(Nikon Canada website)

Started Mar 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
RPulley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,034
Like?
Re: Here we go again.
In reply to bobn2, Mar 8, 2013

bobn2 wrote:

RPulley wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

RPulley wrote:

Just to amplify, here is another image that makes it abundantly clear

The lens mount attaches to the plastic chassis. Th back panel is not magnesium (it is absent here). At least Pentax is more honest that Canon, they don't show the lens mount in place, hiding the plastic chassis.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Bob, just to reiterate and be abundantly clear, you said:

"I doubt that you will ever again get a metal chassis in a camera less then $2k.

Bob"

Note the word "chassis". The K5 has a mag body shell and a stainless chassis, hence my response.

The mirror box is not the chassis, nor does it hold everything together.

Ray

The mirror box is the chassis, and it is plastic in the K5. You can see quite clearly that the lens mount screws into the plastic just like the D7000, D7100, 7D and all of the 5D series, all of which have metal brackets which attach various parts to the mirror box. It is no different in that respect. There is a metal plate which screws to the back of the mirror box which locates the sensor assembly (which on the K5 is large due to the electromagnetic IS). The important location in a camera is the lens in relation to the sensor, and it is the mirror box which achieves that, and therefore if anything t be called the chassis, it is the mirror box.

The K5 is no different in basic construction to the D7000 and D7100. It has a metal front skin, but it has a plastic back one. In the D7000 those are reversed. The skins are however not structural.

It amazes me how het up people get about the simple truth of the construction of their cameras.

Is that sufficiently abundantly clear?

-- hide signature --

Bob

Clear? Yes. Correct? No.

Pentax calls the stainless inner support structure the "Chassis" I suspect that they know more about the various parts of the camera they designed than you do, so chassis it is.

I suspect they do, but they also know a lot about marketing. If you take objection to the word 'chassis' let us say that the loads of the lens are born by the plastic mirror box. Let us also say that the construction of the K5 II is not exceptional. Those same constructional principles of a plastic mirror box with steel brackets and mounting plates are shared with every DSLR, from the most humble entry level ones.

-- hide signature --

Bob

No disagreement that many cameras share similar construction, including some that are FF and more expensive or that the mirror box carries a significant portion of the lens load.

I am on the fence whether  metal is better than modern filled composites. I could argue either way and I suspect that the pluses of one pretty much equal the different pluses for the other. Ditto for the minuses.

Ray

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow