Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Sheehy
Forum ProPosts: 16,026
Like?
Like my new notebook; hate its touchpad
Mar 8, 2013

I replaced my aging Toshiba Satellite with an Asus S200E notebook with touchscreen.  I like using the touchscreen when it is more convenient, I love the low power consumption, and the fact that the notebook can sleep for a long, long time on a charged battery, and wakes in about one second when I open the lid and is immediately responsive.

I am having a hell of a time with the touchpad, though.  I developed a habit from 15 years of laptop use of keeping my left index finger lightly on the left-click button, which has always been a completely separate button from the touchpad surface, and the other index finger moving the pointer.

The left-click area on this touchpad is actually part of the pad, and plays a dual role, which causes no end of problems.  Even if I don't touch the left-click area and hover the finger over it, and press down only when I want to click, the pad picks up cursor movement from this, and clicks on the wrong thing after jittering around a bit.  There is no option in the control panel or in the "Asus Smart Gesture" program to turn off cursor movement in the click areas of the touchpad.  Previously, I had to turn of zooming on the touchpad, because the stupid software would interpret the slightest movement of my left index finger in the left-click area as one of the fingers in a zoom gesture.

Also, when I am typing text, the cursor often jumps arbitrarily into the middle of what I've already typed, and I can't seem to figure out why, but I guess that it has something to do with slightly touching the touchpad while typing.  I thought it was the reply editor here, but it has also happened in other software.  Oh yeah, also, the cursor often sticks for 2 or 3 seconds when I first start to move it, and I know that it is not other processing in the background, because it never happens while the cursor is already moving; it is just the touchpad not recognizing a new gesture.

Is this inability to emulate legacy touchpads an industry epidemic, or is it just a problem on a small subset of touchpads?

It's been six weeks now, and if I haven't adjusted to this over-sized, overly-sensitive and unconfigurable touchpad by now, I doubt I ever will.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-S2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow