new 80-400 focus breathing 400mm becomes 261mm at close focus

Started Mar 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,093
Like?
Nonsense...
In reply to Photo Pete, Mar 8, 2013

Photo Pete wrote:

Nice images, but all achievable with a 150mm macro lens which would also give greatly improved resolution at close range.

Nonsense, one can not achieve the narrow FOV of a 320mm lens with a 150mm lens. Nice to read that you like the images, though. They are what they are due to the chosen narrow FOV.

Your 320mm FX equivalent shots would also be achievable with the new 80-400 from exactly the same distance.

Nonsense, one can not achieve the narrow FOV of a 320mm or a 500mm at around 1.2 to 1 meters with the 80-400 which only reaches about 200mm at 1.5 meters.

If you shoot a lot of this type of image and don't want to get closer to the subject you could also use a narrow extension tube without loss of qualiry.

Nonsense again... extension tubes do only one thing... allow you to get closer.

Whilst focus breathing is not desirable it can be overcome by using a macro lens, extension tube or stepping closer.

Nonsense, focus breathing which widens the FOV can not be "overcome" by using a macro lens. Focus breathing which widens the FOV can not be overcome by an extension tube, or by stepping closer.

I especially use the narrow tele FOV for... the narrow tele FOV. There are no macro lenses which offer such a narrow FOV. When I want a different FOV, I use other lenses. Like my Ultra Micro Nikkor 55mm f2. Or my Micro Nikkor 55mm f3.5. Or my Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro. Or my 35mm f2.

Achieving great quality at 400mm for mid distant to far distant subjects is far more important than compromising the lens to avoid focus breathing.

Nonsense, same stuff was said when the Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 VR II was introduced. Somehow lens resolution was connected to heavy focus breathing. The Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM II showed that was nonsense. It is very well possible to design a sharper lens without the severe widening of FOV at MFD. They are not in any way mutually exclusive.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow