17-40mm L or sigma 12-24mm or something else?

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mike K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,494Gear list
Like?
Re: contradictory terms!
In reply to pixelationX, Mar 7, 2013
i am looking for a wide angle lens and just want to know what's a good quality lens that is cheap and has great IQ?

Wide angle lens on FF, cheap, and great IQ?

HA! You only get 2 out of these 3 qualities! Where are you going to compromise?

How wide is wide for you?  for many 24mm is wide enough on FF, then there are quite a few choices. What are you going to use the WA lens for?

the 17-40 is a decent lens on a crop, but the corner softness was too much for my tastes when mounted on FF.  This is an issue of photographic style; again, what are you going to shoot with the WA?.  I now use several primes in that focal length.

You didn't request AF or zoom as well, so I will also throw up the Samyang (Bower,etc) 14/f2.8.  One major caveat with this lens is occasionally poor QC makes for  somewhat inconsistent product manufacturing; I was never happy with mine. I've seen some decent feedback for the Tokina 16-28, but I have never held one.

Mike K

Mike K's gear list:Mike K's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow